Deciding to get a hair transplant is a big decision, and you’ll want to ensure that your new hair looks great and lasts for a long time. There are some recommendations to follow to make sure your hair transplant looks its best. Let’s take a look at some ways you can care for your hair after a transplant.
How Do I Care For My Hair After a Hair Transplant?
1. Be gentle with your new hair. Your scalp will be sensitive after the transplant, so be sure to use a mild shampoo and avoid rubbing your scalp too vigorously when washing your hair. Using a soft brush or comb on your new hair is also essential, as brushing too hard can damage the hair grafts and cause them to fall out.
2. Avoid direct sunlight. Your scalp will be susceptible to sunlight after a transplant, so avoid the sun as much as possible following your hair transplant procedure. It’s best to remain indoors and avoid direct irritation in the implanted areas.
3. Keep your scalp clean. Keeping your scalp clean after a hair transplant is important to prevent infection. You should shampoo your hair daily and be sure to rinse thoroughly. You may also want to use a mild anti-dandruff shampoo to help keep your scalp healthy. Follow all the directions your surgeon provided to keep the area clean.
4. Sleep in the correct position. The new area needs to be touched as little as possible, and it needs to be in a protected environment. When sleeping, keep your head elevated on a pillow and use a soft silk scarf to wrap your head. This will minimize contact and increase healing. The pillows also help prevent swelling, and you are often provided with special pillows at your clinic.
5. Avoid using hair products. Styling gels and other products can irritate your new hair and cause infections. It’s best to avoid using any products on your hair for at least two weeks after the transplant. After that, you can start using milder products if needed. Again, follow the recommendations of the surgeon.
6. Use the recommended medications or products. Patients are often given a list of recommended products after surgery, including special shampoos, conditioners, or creams. Be sure to use only recommended products as others may irritate you. Also, you may be prescribed mediation to retain your head of hair.
Hair transplant upkeep is not difficult. By following these tips, you can ensure that your hair transplant looks great and lasts for a long time. Be sure to consult with your surgeon about any specific instructions or recommendations for aftercare.