Should you invest in a toupee? It’s a question men with hair loss frequently find themselves considering. It’s easy for some to dismiss this as a superficial concern, but the fact is that for many men, hair loss or conditions like alopecia can cause significant mental and emotional anguish and a noticeable lack of confidence.
There are plenty of toupee advantages and disadvantages to consider as you begin your search.
Here’s a quick look at some of the most notable pros and cons for you to think about before deciding on a toupee as a solution for your hair loss.
- Price: Toupees are relatively cheap compared with some of the other hair replacement methods on the market. A high-quality toupee will still represent a decent initial investment, but consider the fact that a hair transplant could cost you thousands of dollars, and suddenly the price of a great toupee isn’t looking so bad. If you have a limited budget and would really like to get back a head full of hair, you can find a toupee that looks natural and is designed to last.
- Immediacy: There’s something to be said for having an immediate solution at your disposal. Surgical methods and other forms of treatment might work for you, but they will take a while to reach their maximum results. A toupee doesn’t have any wait or recovery time. It also is an option you can use while you’re waiting for your treatment to provide you with the results you’re looking for or while you’re waiting for a surgical appointment.
- Maintenance: Toupees are easy to maintain. They’ve already been styled, so you don’t need to do much more to set the style other than combing it regularly, just like you would with your natural hair. You should also wash the toupee regularly, following the instructions from the manufacturer. Styling the toupee is not necessary unless you really feel like doing more with it, in which case there are always other styling options, especially for toupees made with natural hair.
- Unnatural appearance: While you can find some high-quality natural hair toupees that at least look reasonably convincing, you’re never going to find one that’s absolutely perfect. The keen eye will always be able to tell it’s a toupee, and if it’s not a high-quality toupee, it might stand out pretty clearly. You can resolve this issue by purchasing the right toupee—one that comes from a high-quality manufacturer.
- Activity: There are people who are concerned about toupees falling off during heavy wind or intense activity; however, with high-quality toupees and effective glue, this shouldn’t be an issue.
These are just some of the toupee advantages and disadvantages you should consider when deciding whether a toupee is right for you. To learn more about toupees as a solution for hair loss and what you can expect when wearing a toupee for the first time, we encourage you to contact our team at Raveen Hair Replacement.