Scalp conditions can be a precursor to hair loss. Many times, they are also just plain uncomfortable or produce socially awkward effects, like white flakes on a dark jacket or shirt. Fortunately, Raveen Hair Replacement offers scalp treatment in Greensboro, NC that can give you relief. It is advised that you see a doctor first in case you require prescription medication. However, we can offer relief for your symptoms. Here are some common scalp conditions and how they are treated:
- Dryness: This is the most common scalp condition. It is usually temporary, but some people suffer from persistent dry scalp, especially if they have allergies or weather sensitivities. Sometimes, it is the result of a reaction to styling products, especially if there is itching. One way to avoid this condition is to avoid switching hair products, especially if you find something that works for you. Treatments include shea butter and tea tree oil to add moisture and relieve the itch. If the condition remains chronic, medicated or antifungal shampoos may become necessary. Another possibility is head lice. If you have been exposed recently, rule out this cause first before seeking other scalp treatments.
- Scaly scalp: If your skin cells die off quicker than normal, your scalp will appear scaly. This is due to the dead cells piling up and producing this effect. Eventually, they shed and present as white flakes on your clothing. Effective treatment depends on the underlying condition. Bacterial or fungal infections respond well to antibiotics or antifungal medication. Using a dandruff shampoo also helps, and we offer many that will also support your hair condition. In rare cases, you may require a prescription-strength dandruff shampoo. If there is resistance to treatment, you may suffer from an autoimmune disorder.
- Eczema: This chronic skin rash also affects the scalp. It can cause itchiness, and rashes may spread over your head. Moisturizing treatments provide relief by controlling the itch and keeping skin hydrated. Sometimes, the eczema results from allergies, and medicated creams and oral antihistamines are helpful. Unfortunately, if the condition results from a compromised immune system, treatment can reduce immune function further. In these cases, the eczema needs close monitoring by your doctor.
- Psoriasis: Often associated with dry skin patches, psoriasis also causes severe scalp scaling that can eventually compromise hair shafts. It is the result of an overactive immune system that keeps regenerating skin cells, making them pile up on top of one another. The best treatment is medicated shampoo with salicylic acid, but this condition is controlled and never cured. Coal tar ointments help heal resulting sores and reduce the appearance of scales.
- Folliculitis: A common type of scalp acne, folliculitis is when staph bacteria, yeast or mites infect the hair follicle. The condition necessitates frequent hair washing with a shampoo made with selenium sulfide. Severe cases require antibiotics or antifungal medications. This is a difficult condition to treat because finding the root cause is not always easy.
A scalp treatment in Greensboro, NC can make a big difference for you even if you do not seek hair replacement. Call Raveen Hair Replacement today to schedule an appointment.